Saturday, December 13, 2008

Safe

I had the following conversation at the dentist's office. We've been going there for years.

Note: All the dentists there are from the Philippines, so you must imagine everything the dentist says with an accent.

Dentist: So... you are almost 16, Delaney?
Me: Uh-huh (I had my mouth open)
Dentist: You have boyfriend?
Me: (In an "oh-dear-what-an-idea voice) Ha, no.
Dentist: (Laughing) You don't want one?
Me: No, not for quite a while yet.
Dentist: Oh, you are so good. Your parents will not have to worry. I wish all teenagers were like you.
Me: ... (I wasn't sure what to say)
Dentist: Maybe in college you will have boyfriend?
Me: Maybe.
Dentist: If you went to The Real School, you would have boyfriends. The boys would be chasing you, because you are very pretty. That is one good thing about home-school: you are safe!

Inside my head I was chuckling and thinking, "Thank you, Lord, I am SAFE!"

11 comments:

Courtney said...

LOL :D wow! he responded very nicely to your "no"! almost everytime someone asks me the dreaded 'boyfriend' question and i say no, their response is normally "*gasp!* *horrors!* but boyfriends are WONDERFUL! you NEED a boyfriend!" lol...yeah...i dont think i NEED one...haha. :)

i <3 the new blog name btw!

Delaney said...

Actually, the dentist was a "she." I would have been rather freaked out if it was a "he."

Thank you, Courtney! Update your blog soon; I miss your posts. :)

Alyosha said...

LOL! Yes, we're glad you're SAFE too :P

My dentists are from the Philippines also. (Unless it was Malaysia.) Is this a common occurrence?

Love the new header and title =D

Delaney said...

I don't know... it seems to be, doesn't it?

Thank you! I'm so glad you like them. :D They make me feel more like blogging. :P

Holly said...

LOL!

Elenatintil said...

Ha! What a cute converstaion! Thanks for sharing!

miss whimsy said...

Hehe, that's hilarious! Glad to be SAFE!

Emmy Marie-Therese said...

Haha! Wait until you're my age and they'll be asking you if you're married. Oy. Seriously, I get asked that way too often.

Olivia Krišková said...

Lol : ) Wow, that's funny : ) Dentists always seem to be ones for interesting conversations, don't they? : )

The Other Katie said...

How sweet! It's nice that someone appreciates you not wanting a boyfriend. What creeps me out is when 11-year-olds say "And omgosh, like, I have a boyfriend!" Yikes. It's nice to be "safe"!

The Real Katie said...

Too cute!! :)