Saturday, May 2, 2009

I haven't felt much like blogging lately, hence the long break. It's been so long that I hardly know what to say now! Just a few quick notes on what's been going on in my life:

- Singing lessons are going well. My teacher has set up an advanced class, so my sisters and I are doing that now. He said to us at our last lesson, "I'm going to make you girls killer singers." :)

- Call me crazy, but I had my sister put my (very) curly hair into roller-curlers last night. I wanted my hair shorter, but I didn't want to cut it. However, my hair is very long and heavy, so I don't know how well this will work. Desirae will be taking out the curlers in a few hours, so I guess we'll see then.

- Rehearsals for Twelfth Night have STARTED! Oh-my-goodness-gracious-heavens-to-Betsy, I am so excited about this play. One of the things I noticed at our read-through a few nights ago is that the story just plays out in a really different way than Comedy of Errors (for those of you who don't know this, I was in that last year). Comedy of Errors was crazy and fast-paced, and all the scenes took place in the same day. Twelfth Night is more stretched out, with quiet scenes and scenes of - almost suspense, but not quite. And another thing I'm excited about: MUSIC! There's going to be a lot of music in the play.

One last thing: Lately I've fallen in love with the music from the musical The Scarlet Pimpernel. Here is one of my favorite songs, The Riddle, with a scene before it with Sir Percy and his friends. WARNING: Some language when Marguerite is talking to Chauvelin. The actual song begins at about 5:56.

4 comments:

anilee said...

It's an awesome musical. :-)

Alyosha said...

Ooh, I LOVE that song...and Madame Guillotine (kind of morbidly cool) and Falcon in the Dive. Pity about the crude humour in some of the other songs in that musical...oh well.

Yay for Twelfth Night! So the modernisation is not too traumatic? :P

Have you read Othello or Richard II by any chance? Are they good? Those are the only ones I'm interested in of Bard on the Beach's selection this year (a Shakespeare festival-thingummy near here) but I don't really know the plot of either. Except that Othello ends in DEATH. :P

Delaney said...

I don't remember any crude humor in any of the songs, except perhaps The Scarlet Pimpernel.

I've not read either of those yet, though I have read one scene of Othello. You're going to think this is a little scary, but that scene was the murder of Desdemona... and I read it several times. It really is a powerful and amazingly written scene. But I don't know much about Richard II.

Alyosha said...

I forget which songs I heard, it was a while ago...maybe I should try it again. Eh, sometime.

Ah ok, thanks.