Thursday, March 6, 2008

Writing

I sent in my Lilies of the Field test and composition to be graded. *breathes*

And the test I took on A Secret For Two.

And I'm going to send in my first quarter book analysis on An Old-Fashioned Girl. No, no, no! Not that! I'm so proud of it! It may be the poorest excuse for a 9th-grade essay, but I really like the results! So. I hope I won't be totally crushed by my grade. It was my first big(ish) writing assignment in high-school, and I really liked writing about the story.

I finished my second quarter book analysis on A Christmas Carol yesterday. I CAN CONQUER THE WORLD. :D That was also fun to write about, but am I ever glad I'm finished!

While I'm on the subject of writing, I found a review I wrote of The Shadow of the Bear on a disc of older My Document files. I wrote it on my birthday. (Some people spend their birthdays partying... I spend mine writing book reviews, apparently. Perhaps it will become a tradition.) Here's the first part of it:


' “Once upon a time in New York City,” a widow lived in an apartment with her two daughters. One night they let in a young man who calls himself Bear - and in the City, letting in a stranger when there’s no man in the house to protect the womenfolk can be dangerous. Then, of course, many exciting things happen, many things are discovered, and courage is found in places where crawling away to hide is common.

The Shadow of the Bear is the fairy tale, ‘Snow White And Rose Red’ retold in modern day New York City. Aside from the soft spot for fairy tales and mysteries that I have, what I liked best about the book were the very human heroines, Rose and Blanche Brier: The Brier sisters are attending high school for the first time when the story begins, having been home-schooled for their previous school years. They struggle in the new environment, where most of the girls around them dress immodestly and center their lives around “things of this world.” They have to deal with things real, Christian girls have to deal with - modesty, insecurity, high-school drama, the death of a parent, and bad grades.'

Hmm... there seems to be something wrong with the tenses up in the first paragraph. Alas.

And now, part of an essay I wrote in *cringe* 8th grade. Only a year ago, yet... I can't believe it. The title is "Being Sick." Good gracious. I suppose it was some personal experience or memory essay, but couldn't I have picked something more pleasant to write about? Take a look:

"....I got a bad stomachache at lunchtime, but I didn’t want to go to the office. To “go to the office” seemed to me at that time a very frightening thing. However, by the end of the day, the stomachache was so bad that I told my teacher. By that time it was almost time to go home."

I GOT a bad stomachache. Bleh.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

*laughs*
Ha...well, you know you've improved in your writing when you look at what you wrote a year ago with utter contempt, right?

Ha, ditto about the writing assignments-- my teacher is taking a frightfully long time grading mine and hasn't given anything back yet, so for all I know, my five painstakingly-written short story analysis-es (what's the plural of analysis, anyway?) could be the epitome of what they don't want. Who knows. An Old Fashioned Girl and A Christmas Carol, what excellent choices, as literature classes go! Compared to the stuff they usually assign...

Delaney said...

Yes, Seton assigns some good books for writing on. Where The Red Fern Grows and Lilies of the Field weren't that wonderful, though.

In twelfth grade I get to write about Pride & Prejudice. Hmph! 12th grade, indeed! Why must I wait THAT long? :( :P